Flag Counter

Monday, June 16, 2014

Leila Reeb, 29 Milton Keynes, Bucks (Englamd)

Leila Reeb, 29, converted to Islam when she was 25. She is married to Danny, 28, who also converted four years ago - before the couple met. The pair are both teachers and live in Milton Keynes, Bucks. Leila says:

"The usual reaction when people find out I converted to Islam in my twenties is curiosity.

My husband and I are both white and British so we're not what you'd think of as "typical" Muslims.

I had a normal upbringing in a typical UK family. Growing up, religion didn't really play any role in my life and I was a stereotypical teenager.

I rebelled and got a tattoo and a lip ring. I had boyfriends and would go out drinking with my friends. At uni there was a big drinking culture and I did part-time bar work as well.

I didn't have any Muslim friends and had very stereotypical ideas of what Islam was about - a male- dominated culture where women were oppressed.

But all that changed when, aged 25, I went on holiday to Egypt. There I met Muslim locals and found myself absorbed by their culture. Hearing the call to prayer every day awoke something in me and I started to feel a strong spiritual connection to Islam.

I was astonished at how respectful the men seemed - not like the letches at home.

Once home I decided to find out more and I got in touch with a friend who had converted to Islam. He invited me to a talk and when I walked in, the room was full of women wearing niqabs. I thought they would judge me but they were so welcoming.

As I explored Islam more, it hit home that I felt a connection because it was what I believed anyway. I realised it made sense not to drink because it's bad for you and I found covering up was more liberating than being a slave to fashion.

Soon afterwards I made my declaration of faith and converted to Islam. It felt like the right thing to do but it took a few weeks for me to tell my family and I was nervous about their reaction.

At the time there were lots of terrorism arrests taking place in the UK. My family were worried at first but I made a real effort to show them that I hadn't changed.

I wear a headscarf but I chose not to wear the hijab and my family could see I was still the same person. Now they are very supportive.

Danny and I come from non-Muslim families. We met online chatting about this and it's helped that we've had this shared experience. We got married two years ago in a mosque.

Most friends have been accepting. A few non-Muslim mates have struggled but there have been hardly any negative reactions.

We're lucky in the UK that everyone is free to be who they want to be. I'm proud to be British and to be Muslim - there's no conflict between the two.

I'm still reading the Koran and learning more about Islam all the time - it's not all been plain sailing. Eating Halal, and fasting for Ramadan, were big changes and waking up at 3am to pray never gets easier. But now I really believe in the life I am living. I've never once regretted my choice."

No comments:

Post a Comment